PRP; LET’S SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU
PRP therapy has been used for the past two decades, but PRP injections are suddenly gaining popularity for a variety of conditions from sports injuries to hair loss. So what is PRP? What does it mean? What does it really do? Most people don’t even know it stands for platelet-rich plasma. They really don’t know much, if anything, about it. So we’ll get into the details here, in a language you can understand.
THE POWER OF PLATELETS AND PLASMA
Let’s start at the beginning.
The first “P” stands for platelets. Which in itself remains a bit of a mystery. Platelets are tiny blood cells that help your body form clots to stop bleeding. If one of your blood vessels gets damaged, it sends out signals to the platelets. The platelets then rush to the site of damage and form a plug (clot) to fix the damage. While they were once best known for their clotting ability, platelets also contain growth factors that can trigger cell-reproduction and stimulate tissue regeneration or healing in the treated area.
“Rich”. You know rich means something good. “Rich” in platelet-rich plasma describes the ultra-concentrated serum rich in proteins and the powerful growth factors mentioned above.
The second “P”, stands for plasma. Plasma is the liquid part of your blood. About 55% of our blood is plasma, and the remaining 45% are red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Because plasma is about 92% water, it lets these elements flow easily through your bloodstream.
So, putting it together, platelet-rich plasmas is simply blood that contains more platelets than normal. The concentration of growth factors — can be 5 to 10 times greater (or richer) than usual. Easy to imagine the potential.
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR SIMPLE
Preparing PRP injections is easy. A small sample of your blood is drawn. The amount of the sample depends on where the PRP will be injected. When we say “small”, the amount is often less than one teaspoon. So if you imagine yourself going to a blood bank, relax. The blood sample is then placed into a device called a centrifuge that rapidly spins it, separating out the other components of the blood from the platelets and concentrating them within the plasma. That solution is then injected into the targeted site.
PRP; AN ACRONYM OF AMAZING BENEFITS
PRP can jumpstart multiple healing processes. Many famous athletes — golfer Tiger Woods, tennis star Rafael Nadal, and several others — have received PRP for various problems, such as sprained knees and chronic tendon injuries, having typically been treated with medications, physical therapy, or even surgery. That didn’t work. Some athletes have credited PRP with their being able to return more quickly to competition.
It gets better. PRP injections can be effective in treating male pattern baldness, both in preventing hair loss and promoting new hair growth. It is also used in treating alopecia which is hair loss women suffer.
PRP is also aesthetically amazing. You may have heard about some PRP facials with some pretty creepy names. Yes, we know, hard to imagine without wanting to laugh, but the Kardashians love what PRP does for their amazing skin. PRP Micro-needling facials use PRP to stimulate collagen and elastin production which thickens and tightens thinning skin, effectively smoothing wrinkles and fine lines, and improving overall skin texture and tone. It’s particularly good for people who suffer from rosacea or acne.
Researchers are intently searching for other applications using PRP, including pain management. It’s pretty exciting when you think about it.
PRP; IT TAKES A SPECIALIST
One of the best parts of PRP is that there is little risk because it’s made from the patient’s own blood. Nothing else. Nothing added. Nothing extra to make it work. Which makes it natural. Which makes it safe. The medical professionals at Thrive Health Solutions are harnessing the power of your body’s own resources with PRP injections. Thrive uses this future-forward treatment to help its patients in any number of ways. If it means they can help you live a healthier, happier, more fulfilling life, Thrive’s on top of it. If there are new treatments like PRP injections to make it happen, Thrive’s ahead of it. As with all the varied treatments they offer their patients, you can trust Thrive to know what they’re doing. And doing it better than anyone else. Just as importantly, you can trust everyone at Thrive to care. If it’s PRP, Thrive Health Solutions is where you should be. Call Thrive Health Solutions for an appointment now.